October 2019  
SMTWTFS
  12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
     
Today's Events
OCT

15

TUE
Tai Chi
10:00 AM to 11:00 AM
in sanctuary
Boy Scouts
7:00 PM
Bible Search

The Methodist Church began a presence in the Durant area when the 1844 General Conference created the Indian Mission Conference. Methodist missionaries had accompanied Native Americans along the Trail of Tears.

First United Methodist Church began in 1890 at the Annual Conference of The Methodist Episcopal Church, South held in Muskogee October 22-26, 1890.  J.W. Davis was appointed to the Durant Circuit.  The first place of worship in Durant was northeast of Highland Cemetery.  In 1893, the Methodist Episcopal Church was built on the south side of Main Street between Second and Third Avenues and in 1896 the building was moved to the south side of West Evergreen between Third and Fourth Avenues.  In 1901, that building was sold and the former church lot on the cornewr of 3rd and Beech was purchased.  In 1902, the second church was erected but destroyed by fire in 1921.  The red brick church was built as money became available, with construction beginning in May 1923.  Over the years, many renovations have taken place to ensure that the building serves the ministry of FUMC. When the decision to move was made in Vision 2000, it was hoped that this building would still be in use in the future and it is now a place of business and an event center. 

With great vision, FUMC purchased 22 acres on west Highway 70 and set about on a vision to build a new church building, near the centers of growth with plenty of room for parking, playgrounds, classrooms, etc. and room for expansion.  A Building Committe was formed and after much research and prayer, secured an architect and plans were made for the new building.  After years of planning, fund raising and hard work, ground was broken in 2013 for the new building (see pics under the Photo Tab)  The congregation moved into the new facility in January, 2015 and it was officially dedicated with much celebration in February of that year.  Bishop Robert Hayes preached and joined in the celebration.  Playgrounds, a pavilion and basketball court, prayer garden have been added with several of our Scouts contributing to the grounds with Eagle projects.  It is a place for worship, praise, fellowship learning and growth for a new generation of believers.  It is our prayer it continues to spread the Good News of Jesus Christ to the Durant community in the years to come. 

Contents © 2019 First United Methodist Church Durant and Caddo | Church Website Provided by mychurchwebsite.net | Privacy Policy